Apple Pro and Tell Event: Wait or Buy a MacBook Pro Now?
Apple sent out invites for the Apple Pro and Tell event on October 28, and the only hint on them is the name. I read through the coverage from MacRumors, CNBC and a few other outlets to separate the facts from the guessing, because a lot of people are about to decide whether to buy a MacBook Pro or an iPad mini this week.
Here is where I landed. The date, time and place are real. Every product in the headlines is still a rumor. So if you were about to pay full price for a base 14-inch MacBook Pro or an iPad mini, I would wait until Apple’s press releases land, because the next two weeks could change what you want.
What Apple confirmed about the Apple Pro and Tell event
The confirmed list is short. Apple sent media invitations on Monday, October 19, and these are the details they carry:
- Date and time: Wednesday, October 28, at 10 a.m. Pacific.
- Place: an in-person “special Apple Experience” in Los Angeles for the press.
- The teaser: Apple marketing chief Greg Joswiak posted “Can’t wait to pro and tell next week.”
- Products, chips and prices: none. CNBC points out that the invite doesn’t name a single product.
That’s everything. The “Pro” in the name has people expecting high-end hardware, but that’s a reading of a joke, not an announcement.
When it starts where you live
MacRumors says it isn’t expecting a standard event, so there may be no keynote to stream. Press releases should arrive at 10 a.m. Pacific, while reviewers get hands-on time in Los Angeles. I converted the Apple Pro and Tell event start time for a few regions, since US clocks don’t change until November 1.
| Where | Start time |
|---|---|
| US Pacific | 10:00 a.m., Oct 28 |
| US Eastern | 1:00 p.m., Oct 28 |
| UK | 5:00 p.m., Oct 28 |
| India | 10:30 p.m., Oct 28 |
| Sydney | 4:00 a.m., Oct 29 |
What the rumors say Apple will show at the Apple Pro and Tell event
Most outlets repeat roughly the same list. Cult of Mac and MacRumors both treat it as unconfirmed, and I do too.
| Product | What the rumors say | Status |
|---|---|---|
| 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro | OLED touchscreen, a Dynamic Island-style cutout, lighter design | Rumor |
| Entry-level 14-inch MacBook Pro | M6 chip | Rumor |
| 24-inch iMac | M6 chip, maybe new colors, no big redesign | Rumor |
| iPad mini | OLED screen, front camera moved to the long edge, better water resistance | Rumor |
Where the sources disagree
Once I laid the reports side by side, two things didn’t line up. First, the chips. One report has the touchscreen MacBook Pro on an M5 Pro or M5 Max and the non-touch model on M6, while MacRumors describes a new entry-level M6 model. For the iPad mini, MacRumors says code leaks point to the A19 Pro, with the A20 Pro as an outside chance. I won’t pick a side on any of that.
Second, the timing. On October 8, MacRumors reported an October 27 launch. A week later, a report said the touchscreen model could land on Friday, November 6. Then the invite arrived for October 28.

These can all be true at once. Cult of Mac says preorders are expected during the event, with a launch about a week later. That would make October 28 the announcement and November 6 the day the devices reach stores. It’s my reading of the reports, not something anyone has confirmed.
What you can buy today and what it costs
Prices matter here because they moved this year. According to MacRumors, Apple raised every MacBook Pro by $300 in June and the iPad mini by $100 in late June, citing higher memory costs. These are the US starting prices right now:
| Model | Starting price (US) |
|---|---|
| iPad mini (A17 Pro, 128GB, Wi-Fi) | $599 |
| 14-inch MacBook Pro, M5 | $1,999 |
| 14-inch MacBook Pro, M5 Pro | $2,499 |
| 16-inch MacBook Pro, M5 Pro | $2,999 |
I checked the iPad mini price on Apple’s own store page. The MacBook Pro numbers come from MacRumors’ buyer’s guide, and Apple’s page uses $1,999 as the example price for the 14-inch with 16GB of memory, so the base figure matches.
Should you wait or buy before the Apple Pro and Tell event?
If you need a MacBook Pro
It depends on which one you were about to buy. Because MacRumors thinks the entry-level 14-inch could be refreshed before the year ends, I would hold off on the $1,999 M5 for now. It’s only a wait of a few days, and paying full price one week before a possible replacement feels bad.
The M5 Pro and M5 Max models are a different story. MacRumors says that if you don’t care about OLED or a touchscreen, now is a good time to buy them. If you do want those features, wait, and expect to pay more. Cult of Mac predicts the touchscreen model will cost more than today’s models because OLED panels are expensive to make.
If you want an iPad mini
Nobody has priced the new mini. Still, Apple already pushed the current one to $599, so I wouldn’t count on the OLED version starting lower. If you want OLED, waiting costs you nothing but a few days. If you only need a small, cheap tablet, MacRumors points to the 10th-generation iPad at $449 as the budget pick.
A simple plan for this week
- Write down your deadline. If your old laptop dies on Friday, buy now. If it can limp along, wait.
- Check Apple Newsroom at launch time. The release should post at 10 a.m. Pacific on October 28, and there may be no livestream.
- Compare the new price to today’s price. Use the table above, so you can see the real gap.
- Check the return window before you order. A buy-now plan feels safer when you know you can send it back.
I’ll admit that part of me wants the touchscreen MacBook Pro rumor to be true, simply because it’s the biggest change in years. However, a rumor isn’t a reason to skip a purchase you need. Wait only if the new feature is the thing you want. I took the same buy-now-or-wait approach in my Sony 4K Blu-ray player post, if you like this kind of breakdown.
The short version
Apple confirmed only the October 28 date, the 10 a.m. Pacific start and the Los Angeles press event, while the OLED MacBook Pro and iPad mini are still rumors. If you want OLED or touch, or you were about to buy a base 14-inch MacBook Pro or an iPad mini, wait for the announcement; if you need a Pro-level Mac now and don’t care about either feature, buying today is fine.